marți, 9 octombrie 2018

It is hard to say goodbye to EVS


Looking back now it looks like everything went by really fast. What was initially a step into an unknown country has now shifted into a feeling of belonging to somewhere. Living here for two months has definitely left its mark on me and was now starting to feel like a home. From routines to more planned and scheduled activities, from hanging out with friends to having fun with the children, I was definitely getting accustomed to this life.
One of the major differences in comparison with my first month here was the relationship and the interaction with the children from our project. 



We were getting more used to each other and all the interactions were starting to feel more special and flowing more naturally. I felt like I was no longer a stranger but someone who they trusted. They would always come and salute us with a smile and a lot of energy, which would continue throughout the day, this endless radiant youthful energy of them. This kind of energy would be contagious and thus would paint a scenario of playfulness and happiness. Every day with them was a day I would look forward to. They would tell us about the games that we taught them and how they would keep playing them every day many times a day. They would remember the details from that one conversation or interaction on that specific day and how much they liked to be with you. These are the things that fill my heart with such joy that make me realize how lucky I am to have been here in Romania these past two months. It was hard to leave them on the last day. My heart will forever hold them in a special place and hopefully we will have a chance to meet again one day.

My group of volunteers was starting to slowly get smaller. Two flew back home at the beginning of the month and another one left some weeks after. This had a clear impact on me as we were accustomed to work and live together. Eventually days would go by and I got used to being just two, me and Esther, by the end of the project. Now I can say that I wouldn’t change these last days in Romania, we built a solid friendship and I wish her all the best for her last month here.
All in all, it is hard to say goodbye to all of this. I met many wonderful people here, people that opened my eyes to different perspectives in life and different ways of thinking and living and opened my heart to feelings I hadn’t experienced before. I learned and lived so much these past two months that it is hard to put it all in words. I am forever grateful for having had the opportunity to be in this EVS, in this country and with these people. I’m leaving as a new João/Juau/Joa/Jo/Jao/George/Jerome.
 Vă mulțumesc România

João Louro - EVS volunteer
Project – Volunteering&Sustainable Development II – Erasmus+

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu